Sprouted Berry Smoothie


For the last week, as the Seattle area was lit with sunshine and warm temperatures, I decided to do week long raw foods cleanse. It was too hot to cook anyways, and all my body craved was tons of fresh raw fruits and veggies. Super excited and motivated to pull it through I brought back to life my sprout jars. One for clover sprouts, and one for lentil sprouts. Its definitely been way too long since I last used these!

With Dane up north in Alaska fishing once again, it made it much easier to stick to my raw foods plan. No distractions, no teasers, just simply refrigerator draws full of vibrant and fresh goodies smiling up at me. I eliminated all dairy, sugars, besides fruit, grains and beans, except my sprouted lentils, and used only whole fats, eliminating oils. So pretty much I nourished my body and soul with all the beautiful fresh and organic fruits and vegetables I could get my hands on, nuts and seeds, avocados, and my clover and lentil sprouts. I didn’t even add any salt, except a pinch or two here and there. Everything on my plate, was simple, easy, and delicious, just like nature intended. And I felt and still feel great! My taste buds have also readjusted to enjoy foods with less salt and sugar. I was rebooting my senses!





During my week long cleanse, I created a new smoothie favorite, stocked full of vitamins and minerals, fiber, essential fatty acids, and a whapping good dose of plant based protein! It tasted so delicious you would never know that I put three romaine leaves and a handful of clover sprouts into the mix…it was just that good. Now, after my 100% raw food cleanse,  I even add a single hard-boiled egg making it a hearty filling breakfast for any busy weekday morning. I realized that my raw foods cleanse was pretty low in choline, a vitamin that plays a very important role in DNA synthesis, detoxification, brain and nervous system activity, and helps keep our cellular membranes healthy. Lucky for me, eggs happen to be a great source, offering 34% of your daily choline needs. Plus, I was just really, really missing the flavor of my pasture-raised chicken eggs…the yolk is to die for!


Sprouts, on the other hand, are a nutrient dense, yet calorically light, addition to any smoothie, salad, sandwich, or wrap. Not only are sprouted beans and legumes easier to digest because your removing phytic acid, but it’s also a fun way to add more plant based protein to your meal. Having sprouts grow on your kitchen counter, just makes you feel good. Within days you reap the benefits of your little garden. And the best thing of all is that it is amazingly easy to make your own! And cheaper! Click here to learn more on how to sprout your own lentils and here to sprout your own clover.


So, whether you are sprouting your own clover, alfalfa, lentils, or mung beans, I am sure you will want to either make some your own or buy some to put into this smoothie! This smoothie recipe, along with one hard-boiled egg, offers you 20g of protein, lots of good omega-3 fatty acids, and 11 grams of fiber to help you stay full until lunch. And like I mentioned before it’s bursting with many important vitamins and minerals, and tastes way better than a multivitamin. 

 Now drink up, and skip to work today, because you will be bursting with feel good vibes!

Sprouted Berry Smoothie
Makes 1 serving

INGREDIENTS
½ cup coconut water
Juice of ½ orange
½ scoop Garden of Life Raw Protein (plain/original)
1 tablespoon Barlean’s Flax, Chia, and Coconut Mix (or sub with just ground flaxseed)
3 leaves romaine leaves
1 handful clover sprouts
10 fresh mint leaves
1 medjool date, pitted and chopped
1 cup mixed frozen berries
Pinch of sea salt

DIRECTIONS

Put all the ingredients except the frozen berries into a high-speed blender, and blend until smooth. Add the frozen berries, and pinch of sea salt, and once again blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite smoothie glass and enjoy!

Note: With a hardboiled egg (or 8 cashew nuts if your vegan) you have a well- balanced breakfast to start your day off right!

Popular Posts